Sunday, January 17, 2016

Home House Projects

We have been living in our new house since June and haven't really had a whole lot of time between now and then to put our own little touches in.  The summer was insanely busy with vacations and family visits, and the fall was worse with birthdays and hard monthly rotations.  We are finally getting around to making our house more of a little home.

Personally I am more of a "buy it so it looks nice" kind of person and not so much a Do it Yourself.  Morgan on the other hand is my exact opposite (which is why I love him).  He thinks that you can make anything and that he can make things way better than something we would buy.  I don't always admit that he is right unless he really deserves it..and it this case he really is right.  Morgan is the best, he can take one look at something and recreate it even better.  He made me the most amazing wine shelf that I will feature on here soon once we put the finishing touches on it.

Our Hallway Project
We have this awkward little space in our front hallway between the half bath and the closet.  For the longest time I just had a cute little clock hanging on the wall, but it still looked empty.  I went on the hunt to find a little table to fill the space, I found the best one at pottery barn for $400.  Seriously I love Pottery Barn.  I am addicted but I do refuse to pay that much for a end table just to stick in my hallway.
When I was in college my great aunt had given me this ugly little end table to fill space in our horrible awful college house.  After graduating college I had kept it in the basement of my townhouse, not wanting to get rid of it, and then it lived in the garage when we moved into our new house.  Morgan had the great idea of re-finishing that table and using it in our entry way.  So we dug it out of the garage and unbelievably it was exactly the perfect size to fit in the space.  Later that evening we went to HomeDepot (Morgan's home away from home) and got everything we needed to start this little project.

Now I have NEVER used a sander in my life so Morgan had to walk me through it slowly at first.  He made sure that I went with the grain and didn't sand it so much in one spot so that it would be uneven.  Oops on that last part but you can't tell now that its painted haha.  After it was all sanded off we just used spray paint to change the color to a fun blue that matched our hallway rug and half bath.
We were both so surprised how well it turned out!  


If you remember my post from our spontaneous Ikea trip then you recognize the lamp.  The little mirrors I had found at target for around $20 I think.  Altogether this little project cost us approximately $50, much cheaper than that Pottery Barn table I wanted.  Guess that means I have a little extra money for shopping before vacation!

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment