Friday, January 8, 2016

Take time to do what makes your soul happy


Just about a month ago I started really getting into aerial yoga and just plain yoga in general. I had done yoga before my son was born but gave it up after due to obviously no time after having a baby.  Now that he is almost 2 I have really gotten back my love for yoga that's to my wonderful boyfriend for giving me the time and my fantastic best friends for going with me! 
   We take aerial yoga at a studio in Harrisburg called Om My Yoga. The studio is gorgeous! It is in an old building with exposed beams and sits right on the river.  We have only been to classes in the evening and the atmosphere there is so relaxing and comforting.  The instructors are also fantastic, they are so helpful and friendly.
  This week Debbie and I were the only ones from our group who had the evening off and could make it to a class. We tried Aerial 2 for the first time and had a private class.  Now we had only ever taken Aerial 1 classes before so this was our first 2 class.  We were thankful we were the only ones in the class because at times (a lot of the time) we had no idea what we were doing.
  Now I'll share some of my favorite poses from last night. 
Vampire with toe taps
In this pose we started in vampire which looks like this 
With one leg always in the fabric we worked on taking the free leg up, over and down to tap on the floor for a intense core workout.
Flying Butterfly
A new pose learned tonight but definitely a favorite for hip stretching and turning into a fun hip hang that gives a good stretch and is relaxing!
flying butterfly turns into a hip hang with a simple flip forward turning it into an inversion 
Now the first time we did this was absolutely hilarious.  We were positioned in flying butterfly when the instructor told us to hinge forward and turn this position into a hip hang.  I was so petrified that I was going to fall out of the wrap and right onto my face on the mat.  I looked over at Debbie and saw her just completely go for it, pretty much just diving forward.  Of course Debbie is fantastic and not only did not fall on her face but she totally mastered the move.  I closed my eyes and just went for it. After that I figured, if that position change didn't make me hit the floor then I was pretty good for whatever else we would do.
Warrior 3 Combination
My third favorite move from the night (sorry no picture of this one) was using a hand wrap to do a deep warrior three position.  We then took the warrior three down to a Three Legged Down Dog and then up into plank.  This combination gave a great deep stretch and also really engaged the core for a great ab workout!
Now everyone knows the best thing about doing yoga is the fun outfits you get to wear!  One of my favorite parts of going to yoga classes is deciding what I am going to wear to class that night.  So here is a little peak at our wonderful outfits from last night.

                                        
Debbie in the Wonderful LuLuLemon Free to Be Tank
                                  
I wore this super fun colored matching top and yoga pants that I recently purchased at Express.

No girls night is complete without Margaritas!  After every yoga class we decide on a new bar to try and go for a drink! Last night we went to El Sol downtown and had the best margaritas and appetizers.   Debbie tried the strawberry marg and mine was mango.  Both were extremely delicious and much needed for some girl catch up time!
                                        

 Hope everyone had a wonderful Friday and enjoys the weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment