Thursday, January 28, 2016

Winter Skin Blues

There really are very few things I actually enjoy about the winter season.  I can give you a long long list of things I absolutely can't stand, but I can only count things I like on one hand.  I've started a count down for the day we are done with Morgans residency in Pennsylvania and can move somewhere warm all year (South Carolina wink wink).

One of the things that I hate about winter.. or I used to before I found amazing products to help... is the constant battle to keep my skin from looking dry.  Now I don't get horribly dry skin in the winter, but occasionally I used to wake up with some dry skin on the T-zone of my face.  I just hated how my face was always so dull in the winter and it took me all these years to figure out ways to make my skin look healthy all year round.

Now if you have read my blog before then you know I am obsessed with the health of my skin and making sure I take good care of it.  The winter can be so hard on your skin.  Cold weather, wind, heating systems; can all leave your skin feeling so dry.  If you are like me and are used to being outside and getting some sun, then you might also feel like your skin is just so dull and bland in the winter.

This year I can honestly say that I have nothing about my skin to complain about.  I have found some awesome products that I have been using to keep my winter skin blues away.  Lets start with some of the body products I have been using.  

Body Care


Every holiday season I always buy one of the Philosophy Holiday Shower Gel's.  I love the holiday scents that they come out with every year.  Shimmering Snowflake was the scent I picked for this season.  I chose this one because I really wasn't in the mood for a food smelling shower gel.  Those are nice from time to time but I found that I got really sick of the sweet smells when I would use them every day.  This has more of a perfume scent to it.  The scent is slightly sweet with a little spice but it is very light.  Unfortunately Sephora does not carry the holiday scents anymore. BUT... you can get the holiday scents from philosophy website ON SALE Philosophy shower gel 

A good body moisturizer is a MUST HAVE in the winter.  I did a review on this product in another post so I won't talk to much about it on here but if your curious look back at my hauls or email me for details!  Just like all the other scents of this firming body emulsion I have purchased over the years, I am not disappointed in the least.  Amazing Grace Lotion

Another absolute must have not only in the winter but all year long, is this amazing amazing body scrub by L'Occitane.  Look back in the blogs for my full review on this product.  I don't think I have ever been more in love with a shower product before.  Yes I even love this more then my LUSH items.  I cannot say enough great things about this product.  If you don't have this yet then you are in for a real treat! Ultimate Must Have

Skin Care

Ok so on to skin care,  I am going to try to fly through these things and do a more in-depth review later or if you guys are interested in any let me know.


This Murad cleanser I just started using about 2 weeks ago so I haven't used it long enough to give it a full review.  I can tell you that from using it so far I might be hooked.  I love the way my skin looks after using this product.  I wake up with really pretty skin in the mornings.  I really don't have any issue with acne but I purchased this cleanser because it is moisturizing and I love the anti-aging aspect of this.  The extra hydration really makes my skin look brighter and more plump after using it. My old face wash was really starting to be ineffective and dry out my skin.  So far I am happy with the switch.  Murad Cleanser

Another product I started using around the same time which I showed in one of my Sephora Hauls, is this Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream.  I'm so happy that I decided to purchase this product.  I have been using it at night before bed and wake up with happy and moisturized skin.  After using this for 2 weeks I have found that my color is more even and my make-up has been going on better in the mornings.  Now this moisturizer is light enough to use in the mornings as well as at night.  I only use it at night because I have a really great moisturizer for the day that I can't break away from.  Fresh Face Cream

A good face mask helps to make your winter skin breakaway from the dullness and appear much brighter!  I bought this face mask from Sephora in the fall and really have enjoyed using this.  I bought this to replace my GlamGlow (which is pricey but definitely the best).  Now this does not work like the GlamGlow despite what people say.  But I love it for reasons all on its own.  After using this mask my face really does have a mattified look to it.  It really keeps my skin from looking dull and is great to use before applying make-up if your headed out for a date night or just want your make-up to look stellar.  Mask

Make Up Products


Ok this is the Holy Grail of Highlight products- Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder in Highlight.  I wish I would have discovered this product sooner.  This is my "Instant Pretty" product.  I feel like every time I put this on, wether it is over foundation or just on plain skin when I don't need to wear foundation, it makes me just feel instantly pretty.  The highlight can be as intense as you want it to be this product is very workable.  But whether you go heavy with it or just keep it light, it stands out and is noticeable.  I have the lightest shade but I think I will purchase the Bronze 02 before Costa Rica!  This is another great all year round product but a very good winter blues skin pick me up!  Laura Mercier Matte Radiance

In the summer I like more of a Bronzy blush but in the winter I prefer to have a blush that is going to stand out but not be so bright and in your face.  This Pinch Me color by MAC is absolutely perfect.  What I love about MAC blushes is that they are just so build able.  You can start out very light and subtle and gradually work your way up to the desired brightness that you are after.  The Matte Radiance highlight looks absolutely amazing over this blush!  Pinch Me


I think this was long enough, I have so many awesome things I want to share so I think I will do like a January favorite post.  Something to show all of the top things that I have been really loving this month, so look out for that soon!  Hope everyone is enjoying their week!  Thank you for reading and all the wonderful feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment