Thursday, January 14, 2016

Yoga is not about touching your toes, it's about what you learn on the way down

  This week at aerial was really fantastic.  I dragged my sister to an aerial 1 class for her first time.  She did AMAZING! Way better then I did my first time.  Now my sister isn't the most secure when trying something new and different.  She struggled with hip hangs (but seriously who doesn't at first). I couldn't have been more proud of her for really sticking with it and wanting to go again! 
  After taking the more advanced aerial classes I realized how nice it was to go back to the basics in aerial 1.  Now I'm not a super aerial yogi so when I am in aerial 2 I am just trying to master the poses and keep myself from hitting the ground. Last night I could just really focus on the stretch and enjoying moving with the poses.  It was a nice grounding moment to really enjoy the practice and center yourself in your movements and breathing.
  That is why I selected the specific quote for the title of this post. "Yoga is not about touching your toes, it is about what you learn on the way down". This quote couldn't be more spot on, it's very true and sometimes it's easy to get away from the real purpose of yoga, to enjoy and feel good about yourself.      
   Everywhere you see photos of people doing impressive and crazy poses and you think "I want to be able to do that". So you begin to work on your strength, flexibility and balance so that in time you can do that same pose.  The great thing about yoga is that there is always something new to work for and strive to be able to preform. Sometimes you can get lost in this and it feels so so good to just go back to the basics and really relax and enjoy your time! 
    The best thing is when you can take those feel good poses and turn them into something else...
                          Flying pigeon
     This pose starts in a nice relaxing arrow pose but with a simple grab of the extended leg you can turn that feel good position into a nice deep stretch!

    Last night after class the instructor had me try a new pose that she had just learned.  Now I have no idea what this is called but next time I will find out and maybe include a video on how to get into it! 
    
 Here is it! How fun! 

This weeks outfit is all from lululemon that I had shown in my what I got for Christmas post.
Click on the link to take yourself to the actual site to see other styles and colors!
 Top - Wild Tank $64
Bottoms - Wunder Under Crop ii- $88
 Thank you for reading! Enjoy the last remaining days of your week.  I am home with the flu so hopefully I will get caught up on more blog posts since I seem to be unable to move off the couch!
Stay Healthy Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment